Friday, September 19, 2008

Thanks for the comments from everyone. I will soon figure out how to comment on the comments. Please be patient with me as I am learning.

I placed most of the pictures from our summer trip on the site, I will also figure out how to change the sizes so that the people in the pictures are not all cut off. This is a large learning curve for me. But I feel I am making progress. At least I know how to put the pictures on the computer. It is a miracle.

It has been difficult for me to post anything new because Mike is taking a finicial modeling class at school and takes the computer twice a week all day and night. Then he is on the computer at night when he is home. But, I try to get on it when I can.

Back to my history of Glendale. In case you are wondering why I am writing about it is that it feels good to me to write it down. Living there was not the easiest time for me, I have not really talked about it openly in detail so it feels good. So bear with me as I continue with the story. I was writing about the pregnancy.

As my health worsened, I was told that I had to go on a modified bed rest. This meant that I had to stay at home as much as possible. I begged my docotor to let me go to the library at least to get out once a day. I would go to the downtown library and sit in a cozy corner facing Civic Center Park. I would sit for hours at a time and read a book and gaze out the window. I guess it was not that bad. It was just very lonely. I felt that I did not have any friends and was very unfamiliar with the area. The time went by very slowly.

As things got worse with the blood pressure, I was forced to be induced at the beginning of my 36th week. I went in on a Sunday afternoon and had Joseph the next morning around 9:00 a.m. Because I was so early, the labor was slow and long. It was filled with many serious complications. He was delivered by using the vacuum extration because his heart rate was bottoming out every time I pushed. It was scary. Because of my blood pressure I was placed on a high dose of mag sulfate. This drug is desingned to shut your body down in order to keep you alive during the process on labor. What a high dose does to your body is this: 1) affects your vision to the point that you are almost blind at least the vision is very blurry. 2) Makes your throat and mouth so dry that you cannot speak, but you cannot drink anything because if you drink any liquid your lungs will fill up with fluid and then you will die. 3) It closes off your lung capacity to the point that you must wear an oxygen mask the whole time because you are unable to take deep breaths. 4) Your body and all its muscles are affected so you cannot sit up or move without assistance. Needless to say it is nasty, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But, I was able to deliver Joseph and hold him very quickly after he was born. They took him away and he spent the week in the nursery as I was recovering from the labor and my blood pressure was returning to normal. Holding him for the first time was a memorable experiance. His head was long because of the vacuum and then I noticed that one of his ears was flat. I thought to myself oh well, I guess he will have a flat ear. Little did I know that by the next day it looked normal I did not realize that little newborns are a little squishy when they first come out. He then yawned and looked so cute I immedietly fell in love with him. He was a cute baby. I did not spend a lot of time with him at first on doctor's orders. He spent most of the time in the nursery and did not sleep in the same room with me until we went home. I spent almost a full week at the hospital recovering. We went in on a Sunday and left that next Saturday afternoon. By the time we got home, there was a message waiting for us from the stake president asking Mike and I to give the opening and closing prayer at stake conference. I called him back and told him that I had just had the baby. He laughed and said that he had called someone else eailer that week when he had not heard from us. Boy did we get off the hook there.

Got to go, more later.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Here's to hoping things are as calm as possible this time around!!! Looking forward to our weekend!

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.