Monday, September 22, 2008

Hello

Its me again.

I was talking about getting home with Joseph. After my health improved, I quickly adjusted to having the baby around. I really enjoyed it. It was a challenge but a good one. I began to change my attitude about the apartment and that improved my life there. Joseph was a really good baby and an easy kid to take care of. I would put him in the excercise stroller and we would go for long walks around the local parks in the area. He loved being in that stroller and I enjoyed being outside and doing something. We would often meet Mike near where he worked for his lunch hour and eat lunch with him. For the first nine months he worked at Janus he was on the phones and then he was promoted to the Accouting department and has been there ever since. So when he got the promotion, he moved to their Cherry Creek building and that is where we would meet him for lunch. We would meet inside the Cherry Creek mall and I would window shop all the fancy chi, chi stores. It was a fun distration. We would go often. That is when I began to go to the Cherry Creek Branch Library. I would meet Mike and then walk Joseph down to the library. When Joseph was about three months old, I noticed a sign at the library asking for a Saturday morning volenteer. I thought to myself that is perfect, I am up early to do the laundry every Saturday morning. Thus began the next six years of working at the library every Saturday morning. I would work several hourse at first when it was just Joseph. I would do what they call the router list. I would go around and collect all the books on hold and then run them through the computer and then sort them to where they needed to go. Over the years I learned how to do many other things. I would sort, shelve, and cheack out books. I was a librarian just not paid. I loved doing this. I would consider working at the library as a job down the road. I finally stopped every Saturday when we moved out to the house, it just became to far to drive every week. I miss it a lot. I still do volenteer events downtown every year. I am asked to help with the summer used book sale. This past summer, they held it outside in big tents. You have never seen so many books in one place. It truly is amazing. I work at the private, by invitation only party on a Friday night. It is always fun with a great local live band and a nice catered meal. I am also invited to help with the Book Lover's Ball sometimes. They hold that every fall. It is a big formal event that is a fundraiser for the library. I am seen several local celeberties as I cheak people in as they enter. Many of the people attending that event are Denver's rich and elete. They are interesting and many ask why there is not valet parking for the event. I always find that funny because if you have ever been to the downtown library you know that both main enterences are located on the side of the building. There is not street access to either door. You must get out of the car and walk about 1/4 of a block to get to the enterence. One enterence faces Broadway and 13th and the other faces the Art Gallery. So unless you want to drive your fancy Bentley into either of those locations, you would need to park in the parking garage across the street with those of us of the great unwashed. Oh well, that would be nice if your only worry and concern in life was where was the valet? Must be nice. I use the valet service all the time, so I can relate to thier problem. (Just kidding!) Some of the "famous" people that I have met while working there are: Govenor Ritter, Mayor Hinkenloper, Mayor Webb, Lance Armstrong (the biker), local news casters from 7 news, 9 news, and 4 news. It is always a fun filled night. Sometimes I am asked to help with the silent and vocal auction they hold in the early spring. This is also a fundraiser, they sell alot of rare and very pricey books that night. I have to wear special gloves while handling and showing off the books. I am like Vanna White showing off the letters on Wheel of Fortune, just try not to drop the $5,000 book. Do not worry I did not, but it was fun holding it, the book was beautiful.

Well, I had better go for now.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Fun! I enjoyed your library re-cap. I know how much you've enjoyed volunteering there. Although you're not going on a regular basis, at least you get to do the events now and then and mingle with the valet-parkers!

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.