Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Big Weekend












Well, the long anticipated weekend has come and gone.
We as a family along with Ron and Margaret enjoyed the graduation of Michael Joseph Nelson. He received his MBA from the University of Colorado, Denver yesterday. The graduation was held downtown at the convention center. The kids and I rode the light rail down there and they loved every minuet of riding it to and from Denver. I had packed a large bag of toys to keep them entertained, but they did not play with any of it of course. Mike's parents went early with him and saved us some seats right up front near the graduates. The kids did really well and were troopers sitting through the long ceremony. Fortunately, there were no long winded speeches, very brief remarks and then the presentation of each graduate. Mike looked very distinguished and handsome in his black robe and the graduate colored collar. It was blue and gold which represented what collage he graduated in. We all wore Katherine pins to help keep her close to us. The kids and I felt her there as well. After the ceremony, there was a business collage reception held and we had some cake and lemonade. Then the kids got to ride the train home. But, not before Joseph got to go see the big blue bear. For some strange reason, there is a two story size big blue bear that stands outside the convention center facing inside the large windows of the main entrance. Joseph is obsessed with this. He loves to say, and I quote "Big Blue Bears Bare Bottom." Oh, the joys of a nine year old boy. So, unknown to me, as we were leaving the building, Grandpa Nelson gave Joseph a boost up to the bear bottom and Joseph spanked his bottom. Needless to say he was delighted! Thanks to Ron for making Joseph's dream come true. Joseph is still laughing about it.
We got home in time to attend Joseph's piano recital in which he played a great version of "Frosty the Snowman." He did so good, we were all delighted to see him perform. We then all went out for dinner to Chile's for a great dinner. Thanks to Ron and Margaret for treating us, it was yummy and we had lots of leftovers. We then went home and celebrated Mike's birthday by enjoying some strawberry pie and ice cream. Happy 35th birthday dear. I sure love you and are proud of all your hard work for your degree.
The night before, Mike and I had a great date night at the annual Janus Christmas party. We did not go last year because I was so sick. We really had a great time. It was held at the Marriott Downtown. So, we went downtown twice this weekend. We were riding the light rail a lot! The party was great. They had a great buffet with yummy food. Mike really enjoyed the shrimp and prime rib. I liked the risotto bar where I could order my risotto with what I wanted on the top. So good, that was my favorite thing that night. They had a great live jazz group playing. We sat and listened to them for a while and then called it a night. It was a great date night, thanks dear for taking me.
I was also able to break my new boots in with Montego, I had another great lesson on Friday. I worked on steering through turns and going over trot poles. It was a challenge, but so much fun I love it.
On Wednesday, we had our last night of group therapy at Children's. The kids are sad that it is over. We all really enjoyed doing it as a family. We are planning to go to the Christmas party this week. We will miss going, it has been really good for our whole family to enjoy what they had to offer.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the weekend was very eventful and went well.

Melissa said...

An eventful, action-packed, happy weekend. Yay! Congrats to Mike on graduating, and Joseph on a good recital. And to for surviving all those years of single parenting during grad school. And to your girls for being so darn cute. ;)

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.