Thursday, October 29, 2009

Oh, so much snow

It has been snowing since yesterday, I have over a foot outside my front door. The way the wind blows it seems to drift up on my front door. I cannot even open the front door screen. So, I guess that means we are truly snowed in. Mike spent the night living it up at the Marriott. He choose to stay downtown for work. So he had a nice dinner and room service breakfast this morning. He really is living it up! But, he has to work in his department, he is considered essential personnel. So, he is still at work and we are all here. Joseph and the girls had school yesterday but no school today. We are all just hanging out waiting for it to end. I am trying to get up enough energy to go out and shovel some more snow. I spent over an hour this morning already, but I think I will go out again here soon.

We went to the pumpkin patch last weekend, very good we did with all the snow. We all had a great time. The kids picked out their pumpkins. I tell them they need to be able to carry the pumpkin out of the patch, so we never get really big ones which can be rather pricey. We picked one out for Katherine and it is with her now, I hope that she likes it. As soon as Mike is home for more than five minuets, I will have him put the pictures on the computer and then I will post them for all to see. We love going up there, we have gone there every year for the past three years. It is so fun and cute. The kids love the barrel train and riding the tractor out to the patch. It is always a bumpy ride especially when the farmers drive fast. I guess they do not have speed limits on tractors. The boys went into the huge corn mazes and then the girls played on the play ground areas. I sat and read a book. It was fun for all.

I just finished Dan Brown's newest novel "The Lost Symbol." It was very good and I found it to be a lot like his other two famous books. It had a lot of religion mixed with science and then factor in a bad guy trying to plan the demise of the famous Robert Laughton. It was a fun, education and insightful read. I recommend it to anyone.

The new love of my life is named Montego Bay. He is a large Bay gelding who I have been riding these last several weeks. It is my newest (shall we say old) hobby. I choose to start riding again after Katherine passed away. I found the barn where I now go in the advertisements on the mailers that go around. The woman that owns the facility is so nice and sweet. She owns dozens of horses and boards dozens more. The horse I ride is one that she owns. Montego used to compete in the professional circuit back east in hunter jumper competitions. He was sold to Laurie and then moved west. He still competes quite frequently, but not on the level he used to. He is wonderful, very patient. Laurie is the instructor, she told me that Monetgo likes me and it usually takes him awhile to warm up to people. But, not me. I said of course he likes me, because I love him! So much fun! There is just something that I love about the smells and the sounds of a barn. There is an earthy smell that I find appealing and I love to hear the horses talk to each other. Something comforting in that. All I need is a new pair of boots. The ones I am wearing are the ones I wore in college. They are deader than dead. I am hoping to save some of my birthday money and Christmas money to purchase a nice pair. Last week, Laurie let me stay in the arena and ride Monetgo by myself after the lesson. It was nice to have some time to myself and I hope I am proving that I am trustworthy to be by myself with him. She let me brush him down and then turn him out to his paddock. It was great expect for the time he almost pulled my arm out of the socket when he was trying to eat some grass. Oh, yeah I remember, horses are strong and stubborn too. I let him eat some and then he was willing to be lead to his paddock.

Well, I best go out and do some shoveling.

3 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

That's awesome you're riding horses again Paula! Sounds like so much fun...you'll have to teach me someday!

Tiffany Steele said...

Sorry about snow shoveling!!!! Sounds like a fun pumpkin patch....I think that we are going ot take Benjamin and get a little pumpkin that he can carry....that is a great rule!!! Well I'm glad you are having fun with your horse!!! You need to take pictures and put them in your blog or on the newsletter....love ya and talk to you later.!!!

Melissa said...

I love that you are loving riding again. It sounds like a perfect match!

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.