Thursday, October 2, 2008

About the crazy neighbors. Sorry I got a little distracted with the other information, but I thought that it was important.

To begin to fully understand the extent of the crazy neighbors I must begin my narrative by saying that the complex in which we resided was home to the students for the Denver School of the Blind. The school had a deal with the complex and must have given them a huge group discount because there were hundreds of blind people that lived there. We were were surrounded by seeing inpared people the whole time we lived there. For about the first six months that we lived in the two bedroom after Joseph was born, there was a blind family that lived right above us. I do not think that the father of the family attended school and I know that he did not have a job because he was home all the time. His music was so loud that it shook the walls of our apartment. The sad part was they had two young children who had to endure that. They looked to be about 2 and 3 years old. They hardly ever left the apartment, I think that the father was supposed to taking care of them. It was sad to see that. The father also either took drugs or was a drug dealer because one night around 9:00 a man would not stop knocking on our door. He was dressed in all black and wearing sun glasses. It was very scary and he would not go away. After about an hour of him knocking on our door about every 5 minuets to the point that he was banging on it at the end we had to call the police. He was found hanging out on the first floor and was arrested because he was found with drugs on his person. He claimed he was looking for someone and then realized after talking to the police that he was looking for the apartment right above us. Scary.

Another memorable neighbor was the drunk blind man that abused his seeing eye dog. He moved in right after this other family moved out. It was so sad to see him treat the dog like that. These dogs go through a lot of training and this dog just looked pathetic. He was clearly abused and not well grommed or feed. The man always reeked of alchol and was always yelling swear words at him. I finally called and reported it to the dumb freinds league, the woman that I spoke to there said that several other people had called recently about the same man and they were planning on taking the dog into thier custody. Sad.

Then after he left after six months, then came two women who lived above us. They were actually quite nice and quiet. Which was a relief following a year of loud music and really bad guitar playing from the former neighbors. The peace and quiet was disturbed when one memorable night we were eating dinner and heard the biggest crashing sound known to man. Our door was badly located right at the foot of the stairs so we always heard everyone going up and down them because it was an outdoor complex with concrete steps. So, there was a big crash and we rushed to the door and opened it. Upon opening the door, we found a metal King Soopers cart lying at the foot of the stairs. We then looked up to see our blind neighbor cowering at the top of the stairs. She had brought the cart up the elevator but did not want to walk back to the elevator which sat in the middle of the building so she thought it was a good idea to try and take the full size shopping cart down 15 concrete steps by herself while holding a cane. Needless to say it was very lucky she did not injure herself. Mike then offered to take it down to the elevator and then we called the store and let them know that there was cart for them to pick up. Crazy.

There was also a group that had a deal with the complex that housed people with very special needs. I think that it was kind of an outreach program that allowed disabled people to live alone but under fairly close observation from the people working with the program. It seemed that they were brought food and groceries by the people who worked for them. We had two of the disabled people that lived just below us. This was actually a positive experiance for me, it was neat to be around the people with special needs and sense thier special spirits. It was sad to see the people that worked for the program talk down to them and say bad things to them because I think they thought they could not understand them. It was hard to see that. But I did enjoy having them around they were always very friendly and just loved seeing Joseph. They always make a big deal about how cute he was and want to hold him. Some I would let and some I would not, just depended on who they were. It was a unique experiance. Uplifting.

When I thought I could not take the craziness anymore, and after much grief and lots and lots of fighting, we deicided to begin looking for a better place. This was very difficult for us, Mike did not want to move and I had to move for my sanity. I had to get out of there I was miserable. But, we pushed through and worked to resolve the fights and began looking for a bigger place.

More on that later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun the hear the stories. They are crazy!

Melissa said...

Wow, I don't even know what to say! Those are some truly crazy stories. I can't believe Mike wasn't desperate to get out of there too! I can see why you are scarred by Glendale...

Lindsay said...

Yay, Paula! I'm glad you have a blog. It was fun at the park today!

Anna said...

Kristi told me about your blog. Hope you don't mind if I read it. I think it is interesting. It's great to hear stories I have never heard before. I liked your library stories. That's pretty neat that you got to do all that stuff. Keep up the posting...it's great to hear from you!

Joe and Liz said...

Hi Paula...word travels around fast I guess when you have a blog. I had no idea about your blog until Becky told me!! YEAH! I'm glad I can keep up with you guys a little more. My girls still talk about seeing you guys this summer. I wish we could see you guys more. Well, hope you are feeling well! It will be fun to find out what you're having soon.

Tiffany Steele said...

Hey Paula ....so the pumpkin patch pictures are way cute. You will have to email them for the newletter next month. Sorry I have not called back...I keep thinking about it and then never getting around to doing it....so sorry...but I will call this week.....love you all and hope to talk soon.

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.