Tuesday, November 10, 2009

So Much Fun at the Barn

I went and played at the barn again this past Friday. It was so much fun! I had to arrange a sitter as Mike is working on a huge project at work and I have been a single parent for over week. It is getting very tiresome. I admire those parents who do it alone all the time. It is a lot of work.

So, back to the story of the barn. I had arranged a sitter who came a little early so I took off to go there. I arrived early and then got to play with the horses for a while. The horse that I ride truly has a mind of his own. He is a great horse in the arena but can be a bit of a stinker outside the arena. While I was leading him into the cross tie section of the barn to tack him up there was a large bag of carrots sitting off to the side. He was eyeing them and then decided to help himself to the whole bag. He grabbed the bag and bit a whole in the bottom and then grabbed out a carrot with his huge teeth. All the while I am trying to stop him yeah right. I will work more on demanding some respect out of him in the future. The problem is he is not my horse. It is like you are watching someone else's child with the discipline. I do not want to be too mean or over powering. It was a great way to make an entrance. "Hello everyone, look at my ill-behaved horse." It took two other adults to get the bag away from him. It was quite the spectacle. I tacked him up and then waited for my lesson to begin.

The woman who I take lessons from owns several horses and was transacting a sale of one of them while I was there. She was lounging the horse while I watched on. Such a beautiful animal, he looked great. While I was warming up Montego in the arena, she was on the phone with the buyer's lawyer. The buyer was in Michigan. The asking price was $15,000, just $15,000. After the call, I asked Laurie how much Montego was worth and she said more than that. I am riding an expensive horse!

The lesson went great. I am getting better and my legs are not nearly as sore as they used to be at the beginning. All I need now is a new pair of boots and a helmet and I am all set. I was wearing my helmet from when I rode back when I was 12. Laurie informed me it was too old and not safe to ride with. So, now I am borrowing her helmet, tack, and horse. She is so sweet and so willing to help me. Soon I will have a birthday and plan to get some of my own supplies. At the end of the lesson, she let me jump. It was so much fun. It was very basic jump over the cross rails, but it was great. Montego is a jumper, he loves it and is very good at it. He has great speed and great form. Laurie said that I was an ideal jumper because of my size, it makes it easy for the horse to get height and speed. She said the next lessons I will be able to jump some more. Sign me up, I cannot wait.

I have also started my piano lessons with my friend Kayla. It is going great. I think I may actually learn how to play. I am excited. She said in a couple of weeks I will be ready to play some basic primary songs. So "I am a Child of God" here I come. I told her our standard songs sung in FHE are "Love is Spoken Here" and "I Love to see the Temple." She said that I am not ready to play those, but maybe someday. Thanks Kayla for teaching me.

Well, I guess that is all for now, best go have some dinner now the kids are in bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a great time riding horses. Funny about the carrots :)

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.