Thursday, November 12, 2009

At Children's Hospital Last Night

My family and I are doing some group therapy at Children's Hospital to help us with the loss of Katherine. It is a 9 week course and includes a 7 week course for Joseph. They provide free child care for my girls. As these weeks have gone by we are enjoyed going more and more. Joseph loves his group and they work on fun and interesting stuff. He made a memory box last night to put things in that remind him of Katherine. He also made a body size of himself out of butcher paper and then wrote how he was feeling on there. It was a good night for him.

Mike usually comes with me to the group but is still working late every night for almost two weeks now. We missed him and look forward to him coming next week.

The reason why I am writing is that I wanted to talk about what I saw last night that warmed my heart and made me think that the world we live in is actually a great place and there are people here who do great work.

After the groups, Joseph and I went downstairs to pick up the girls. We rode down on the glass elevators that are open and you can see down into the lobby. I noticed that the girls were sitting in a group of tables working on crafts. The hospital volunteer staff had organized a craft night for the patients at the hospital. There was a fairly large group of teenagers surrounding the kids and helping them make turkeys and color in coloring books. As I walked up I was surprised to see that two boys each were helping my girls make their turkeys. They were intently watching them and patiently helping them. This was a sight for sore eyes coming from a mother who is grieving. It was so nice to see that these boys took the time to come down to the hospital to help with these kids that night.

There were several other kids there who were patients at the hospital. I lost count with how many different I.V. bags they were hooked up to. One little girl was so weak that her father was helping her hold the crayon to color her turkey.

How blessed I am to have three healthy children. How blessed I am to have one in heaven waiting for me. How blessed I am to be able to take my three children and walk out of the Hospital that night. How grateful I am for these nice young men to come and spend time with my girls. They made my girls night. They even got some really cute stuffed animals as part of the craft night. They are in love with them. They choose an elephant and a dog. It was an uplifting and healing night.

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

I'm so glad the groups are going well. Your words touched my heart (and made me cry--I'm such a baby!). Your kids are so blessed to have you as their mom.

Tiffany Steele said...

Yeah that is awesome story......I was crying too. It's nice that there are still some really nice people in the world. It sounds like you are doing well.....and just know we are always thinking of you and we love you and your family....say hi to the kiddos!!

Anonymous said...

What a great post. I am so glad the classes are going so well. It seems everyone is getting something out of them.

Joe and Liz said...

So sweet Paula...thanks for sharing that. It really touched me. You've really got an amazing family and I really do love you. I'm so glad you had that experience.

Melissa said...

I, too, sobbed at this beautiful post. I am so glad Children's has been a positive experience for everyone. I loved working there, and found my heart touched on an almost-everyday basis. You have a shining spirit, and are a gift to your entire family.

Margaret N. said...

Dearest Paula,

You are an amazing writer! Your post on the group experience is so beautiful. Needless to say, my eyes are still teary. Love you, Paula!

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.