Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Stepping Stones

So, last night was the first night of the on going grief group that I helped to facilitate at Children's Hospital. The night went really well and the kids always have so much fun playing in the play area with other kids that they know from other events.

To end the meeting, the facilitator read the following poem that I wanted to share. It seems very timely with the birthday coming up so soon. It reads:

The Stepping Stones

Come, take my hand. The road is long, and we must travel by stepping stones. No, you are not alone, I will go with you. I know the road well. I have been there. Do not fear the darkness, I will be with you. We must take one step at a time. But, remember, we have to stop awhile. It is a long way to the other side and there are many obstacles. We have many stones to cross, and some are bigger than others. Shock, denial and anger to start, then comes guilt, despair and loneliness. It is a hard road to travel, but it must be done. It is the only way to reach the other side. Come, slip your hand in mine. What? Oh yes. It is strong. I have held many hands like yours. Mine was once small and weak, like yours; because you see, once I had to hold someone else's hand in order to take the first step. Oops, you stumbled! Go ahead and cry, do not be ashamed, I understand. Let us wait here awhile and get your breath. When you are stronger, we will go on . . . .

One step at a time . . . .

There is no need to hurry. Say, it is nice to hear you laugh. Yes, I agree you shared good memories. Look, we are halfway there now; I can see the other side. It looks so warm and sunny. Have you noticed? We are nearing the last stone, and you are standing alone. And look at your hand . . . .

You have let go of mine. We have reached the other side. But wait, look back. Someone is standing there. He is alone and wants to cross the stepping stones. I have to go. He needs my help. What? Are you sure? Why yes, go ahead, I will wait. You know the way, you have been there. Yes, I agree, it is your turn, my friend. To help someone else cross the stepping stones.

I love you sweet Katherine, may I safely cross the stepping stones to see you again, I am looking forward to that joy my angel.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

What a perfect poem, thank you for sharing. I think it's awesome that you helped to facilitate the group at Children's; you are also helping others to cross those stepping stones. I have been thinking a lot of Katherine as her birthday approaches, and appreciate all the sentiments you have been sharing.

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.