Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Pictures and The Crossing

Here are the pictures from the birthday party for Katherine. It was a warm and beautiful day that day, the pictures turned out well. That is because I was not taking them.

Joseph and I went to The Crossing yesterday to prepare and serve lunch there. The Crossing is run by The Denver Rescue Mission. It is a temporary housing facility for people trying to get back up on their feet. We arrived at the facility which is a converted old motel and were given aprons and a job. We first opened up a whole bunch of ground up elk meat for bean and beef burritos to be served for dinner that night. I have never seen so much elk meat in my life. The man running the kitchen told me they get it donated a lot from the packing company that people use to pack the meat that they get from hunting. People forget to come and pick up the meat and it is given to The Crossing. We then opened a whole bunch of re fried beans and then layered up tortillas. We then got kicked out of the kitchen because someone else decided that Joseph was too short to be in there. So, we were assigned dish duty and Joseph brought in the dirty dishes from the lunch room to the dish washing area. We were then asked to serve dessert in the serving line. Joseph dished up cookies and I made a huge mess dishing up a huge bowl of chocolate pudding. Joseph was a great worker as usual and it was a comfort to have him with me. There were many kids there his age because it was a holiday and they were not in school. We saw several families and many single men there. It seemed that people could come off the street and get a meal. I saw many coming in while we were serving. It was a bake potato bar and it smelled good. We were offered to eat there, but I told Joseph that the food was not for us and that we had plenty at home. Everyone there was very nice and expressed their thanks for us being there. The workers were mostly adult men and were so cute and patient with Joseph. He just blended right in with them. It was a great way to honor the memory of Katherine and we will plan to go and serve there again in June to remember when she left us to go and live in Heaven where she belongs.






3 comments:

Melissa said...

The pictures are darling, and I'm so glad that The Crossing was a good experience for you and Joseph. I love what a hard worker he is, nice job mom and dad. I think you have started some nice traditions to carry on in Katherine's memory.

Anna said...

We were thinking of Katherine, as well. Love you all!

Unknown said...

Paula, I love that you went and did service as a way to remember sweet Katherine. What a beautiful gift to her!

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.