Sunday, January 17, 2010

Katherine's Birthday

Yesterday was our dear sweet Katherine's 1st birthday. It was a hard day, we miss her very much.

I had a nice weekend planned to help me through the hard times. My dear friends Melissa and Kristie met me at Fairmount and we went to see Katherine on Friday. Mike had planned to take the day off so it worked out really well. Melissa brought a cute pink bird to keep there with her. Kristie gave us a beautiful crystal pink rose in a vase that we are keeping at the house. Mike and I have decided that is what will represent Katherine for us in our minds. We will remember her through pink roses. I think this came about when someone sent us a bouquet of baby pink roses after she passed away and that has just stuck with me. Thank you so much to Kristie for such a thoughtful and beautiful gift. Mike has suggested that we take it with us on trips and set it out to remind us of her memory. I really like that idea.

After seeing Katherine, we went out to lunch and it was so much fun. We went to Pei Wei which is a great Chinese place owned by P.F. Chang's. So good. I had the Beef Lo Mein and Spring Rolls. It was yummy! We had a great time visiting, thanks guys for a great afternoon.

Saturday dawned as I knew it would. I arose early and went to the gym. I then went out to the barn and had a great lesson with Laurie and Tego. I did some trotting while sitting, oh that hurt! I am still sore from that. I then did some cantering and a jumping pattern. Laurie tied my stirrups to the saddle to help me keep my legs in place. It worked out great. I need that every time. Oh, wait, no I need to learn how to do it on my own. The woman that I met last week was coming after me and she was riding Tego. I handed him off to her and she is now planning to take lessons from Laurie like me. Although, she had much more equipment than I did, but hey I am on a budget here. I am sure she had a great time as well.

I came home and got ready and then we went to see Katherine. We got balloons to to the release. We were all wearing our Katherine pins and the man at the store blowing up the balloons asked the kids if it was their sister's first birthday. They said it was and they never asked where the baby was. Oh well, some things are best left unsaid.

We arrived at Fairmount and tied up her balloon. We sang her happy birthday and sent up the other ones to her in heaven. I am sure she has them by now. Happy Birthday my little Angel!

I had arranged to go to Bonfils to give a blood donation in honor of Katherine. So, that is where we headed next. Mike dropped me off and I went in. Mike took the kids to the nearby library. I went in and filled out a two page questionnaire and then turned it in and began to prepare myself for the donation. The nurse called me into the evaluation room and went over the questions. I had checked that I had lived in Europe for more than three months. She asked me when I had lived there and for how long. I told her and then she informed me that I was forever ineligible to donate blood because I could potentially have been exposed to Mad Cow Disease. Oh, well, the best made plans of mice and men often go awry. I tried, I planned, but they would not take me because I have lived abroad in a country nearly twenty years ago. Their loss I suppose, I am a great candidate in my humble opinion. What a waste of time. I called Mike about 20 minuets after dropping me off and he said, "Your done already?" I said "I am done forever." So, just as a public service reminder to anyone planning to donate blood, you cannot donate if you have ever lived in any country in Europe at any point in your life. I wish they had said that on their web site.

Mike came and picked me up and then we went out to dinner to celebrate Katherine's birthday as we do the other kids. The difference was that we did not have to go to Chuck E Cheese. Hallelujah! We all enjoyed a great dinner at Texas Roadhouse. It was a nice way to end the evening.

I am still planning to go tomorrow to The Crossing to work for their lunch shift. I am pretty sure they will not care if I have lived in Europe. I will plan to write later about that and post the pictures from the graveside.

I have had several people ask me about visiting Katherine. If you would ever like to join us, we usually go on Saturday afternoon to see her. Feel free to call me and let me know if you would ever like to join us. Katherine will love the company.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

I was thinking about you and Katherine all day yesterday...and even tried sending you a text in the middle of the night while i was up and bored...but you must not have texting. oh well. Katherine truly was an angel from birth, and I love hearing about her. Can't wait to see the pics you took, and I loved hearing how you remembered her and honored her on her birthday. Tell Joseph I was tempted by the webkins in the hospital gift shop yesterday, but I took his advice..... :)

Melissa said...

I loved our day together on Friday. It was a really nice time. I am so so bummed about the blood donation thing, I know you were really looking forward to that. Mad cow disease from 20 years ago? Whatever. I'm sorry you didn't know that from the get-go.

Katherine was the sweetest baby girl. I've been thinking of the last time I saw her, that day in May when you and the kids came over for dinner, as Mike was out of town. She was rolling around on my floor, and kept getting stuck under my table. And then I held her and loved on her while you ate dinner. What a precious little doll.

I am truly impressed at your dedication to provide service in remembrance of your littlest daughter. I'm sure the weekend brought a roller coaster of emotions. I hope you are doing OK. Can't wait to hear about serving lunch. I am thinking much of you and your dear family.

About Me

My photo
My name is Paula, I stay home full time with my three children.